Want to Ace An Employment Interview? Here are a few pointers that may help you land that perfect job.
- Present the employer with a professional resume. Be careful of typos!
- Get to your interview approx. 10 minutes early. This shows an employer you are timely and should be the same if they hired you.
- Leave your cell phone at home or in your car. A ringing or dinging cell phone could blow your chances at getting the job.
- Dress appropriately. Wear a suit when you can and/or if applicable (if applying for office work this is applicable). Appropriate dress does not include low cut shirts, see through shirts, any type of garment with writing on it.
- Take out earrings that are in places other than your ear. If you have multiple piercings in your ear, no more than 2 earrings is appropriate. Do not wear overly large or flashy jewelry.
- Cover up tattoos that are in areas that the potential employer can see.
- Shake the potential employers hand when introduced. A firm handshake is always best.
- Be prepared. Know information about the potential employer (Google it) so you will appear knowledgeable in the interview.
- Come with recommendation letters.
- Ask questions, but try not to discuss salary-related questions in the first interview.
- Make eye-to-eye contact when speaking with the potential employer.
- Do not talk bad about your previous employer even if you left on bad terms.
- Be sure to send a thank you note or email within a day or two after the interview.
Finally, try to stay calm and don’t show the employer you are nervous. By following the above key points, you should have success in securing another interview or possibly even an offer!
Tags: finding a job, how to interview, how to interview for a job, interviewing for a job, Job Interviews, what to do in a job interview